Sunday, March 29, 2015

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

In the Sherman Alexie's book, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, the narrator Arnold Spirit, commonly referred to as Junior, is of Native American descent. Junior lives on a reservation and faces a challenge when he reaches his freshman year of high school. Mr. P, a teacher who works on the reservation Junior lives on warns him about the dangers of staying on the reservation, and that Junior would be able to live a better life in the future if he were to leave the reservation.
Reservations still exist today, both physical and metaphorical reservations that people just have to get away from to grow as a person. I used to go to an elementary school called James Ward. James Wards was a small school located near Chinatown. I enjoyed my time at James Ward and I've dug my roots into that school. It wasn't until the sixth grade that I decided to leave the school for the Whitney Young Academic Center.
James Wards wasn't a very great school but it was better than most schools, which is what I liked about it. In all honesty I really didn't want to leave. However, I knew that Whitney Young had more to offer me than James Ward did. I became aware of the fact that Whitney Young was on a whole other level than James Ward. So I went and tested for the Whitney Young Academic Center, and I made it in. Here I am, a freshman in Whitney Young, and I don't regret my decision in leaving because I feel that I was able to accomplish more than I would have been able to in James Ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment